Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Journey to Weight Gain

ABS-CBN is currently airing a local version of The Biggest Loser. What I like about this show is that it gives heavy (literally) contestants a chance to be fit and healthy, which can probably change their life. I have, or had, weight and body-image issues too. However, unlike the contestants of the reality show, my problem was the opposite. I used to be underweight and skinny. Here are the photos to prove it:

From left: when I was 11, 15, and 19 years old (I'm not showing my face on purpose. I'm shy.)
I don’t know if it is a gift or a curse, but I can eat a lot without worrying about gaining weight. At one point, I was even intentionally munching on unhealthy and fatty food, such as junk and fast food, just to be fat, but it was fruitless. Others may envy me for this, but it was giving me a problem. At my height (5’ 11” or 180 cm), I looked liked a walking clothes hanger. Also, because of not enough muscles to support my frame, my posture was bad. 

Tale of the Tape

I have been keeping this since then because I knew that I would be blogging about it.
Almost five years ago, I tried one of those drug store machines that measure not only one’s weight but also one’s height, blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), fat mass, and fat index. In short, it is a high-tech weighing scale. The photo above shows the tape dispensed by the machine. My weight registered at 134 lbs. I was probably slouching (bad posture, told ya), so my height was only 5’ 10”. My normal body weight should be between 141 and 175 lbs. My ideal weight should be 160 to 164 lbs according to this website. Aside from my weight, my BMI, fat index, and fat mass were below normal.

The Result

I would be a hypocrite if I would say that I don’t care about my looks. It was always my dream to have normal body weight not only to look better but also to be healthier. I told myself that I should do something about it. Thus, unbeknownst to some people, I have been working out in a gym for three years now. Just last week, when I stepped onto a bathroom scale, I saw this:

I'm now 164 lbs.
Wow! I gained 30 lbs! That’s almost 1 lb for every month that I worked out! Amazing, isn’t it! (Okay. I sound like an infomercial). Dreams do really come true. Here’s what I look like before and after (after the jump):


The photo above was taken four years ago when I was on a summer vacation in Mindoro. The photo below is of me wearing the exact same shirt I was wearing above. It was taken just two weeks ago during my Caliraya trip with my friends. Look at how my arms fill those sleeves.

I’m not going after a bulky body. I’m just happy that my weight is ideal for my height and that my body proportions are just right. Also, I don’t dream of having six-pack abs for I am happy with my flat tummy. (I actually have four-pack abs, but they show only when I’m dehydrated. He he!)

If you want to have a fitter and healthier body, you don’t have to join reality competitions. All you need is a clear goal and the determination to achieve it. Cliché as it may be, what’s written in the wall of the gym where I work out is true: NO PAIN, NO GAIN!

4 comments:

constantly_battling_anxiety said...

first commenter! hehehe... nice joob Karlitos!

Karlow said...

Thanks, Ron! :)

Lloyd said...

how old are you karlow..
coz it relates me im 5'7 and weighting only 130 lbs
im so inspire with your story definitely im planing to go to gym from now on..

Karlow said...

hi, lloyd! i'm 25. i hope your journey will be as successful as mine. good luck! :)