Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pop Art (or "How to Turn Art into Crap")

I had this sort of painting of a bird on my wall for quite some time now. It was from one of my father’s clients. I did not really like it, but I hanged it anyway to give contrast to the boring yellow wall paint of my room. However, just the other day, while I was cleaning my stuff, I decided that it must go. I saw these tags that I have been collecting for no apparent reason, and since I had all the time in my hand, I made a collage with the help of my creative juices (I still have some left as it turns out).

If you want to do what I did, here are the things you need:
1) A framed painting (the frame is more important)
2) Tags (the ones attached to shirts, shoes, and bags)
3) Scratch paper (my thesis manuscript was very useful)
4) The usual art materials (scissors, glue, sticky tapes, plutonium, etc.)

Here is the step-by-step process:

1) Get the original photo or painting out of the frame. Make sure that it’s not a Picasso, or else you’re dead.
2) Glue the tags on a piece (or pieces, depending on how big the frame is) of paper first to make sure that they stay in place. You may position them according to your aesthetics.
3) Put the glued tags in the frame.
4) Hang your work of art where no one else can see it.

Here is what mine looks like (after the jump).
Aside from tags, I also included a ticket, 3D glasses, trading card, and a diskette part. You can paste pieces of your birth certificate if you want to.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I know that my work is not Louvre-worthy, but I’m keeping it anyway because I’ve spent more than an hour doing it. I don't want my effort to go to waste. :)

No comments: